People on the move are people who have left their country of origin for different reasons: persecution, war, environmental disasters, climate change, poverty or economic deprivation.
FORUM has long been assisting various groups of people on the move, mainly through legal representation legal proceedings that they face after arrival in the Czech Republic or Slovakia. Through strategic litigation and international advocacy, we strive to improve access to human rights for people on the move and ensure that they are treated with dignity.
Our lawyers can help with the following issues:
- International protection
- Rights of stateless and undocumented people
- Rights of separated and unaccompanied children
- Assistance to victims of torture or other forms of ill-treatment, slavery and human trafficking
- Detention of people on the move, in particular detention of families with children
- Expulsion and extradition proceedings
- Access to social rights for people on the move
FAIR PLUS: Fostering Access to Immigrant’s Rights – Practical training for Lawyers and Judges
FORUM together with four other European partners – International Commission of Jurists (Belgium) – project coordinator, Scuola Superiore di Studi Universitari e di Perfezionamento Sant’Anna (Italy), Immigrant Council of Ireland (Ireland), Greek Council of Refugees (Greece) implemented a Europe-wide three-year (2018 – 2021) project called FAIR PLUS: Fostering Access to Immigrant’s Rights – Practical training for Lawyers and jUdgeS.
In the framework of the project, together with our partners, we organised a series of trainings for judges, lawyers and other professionals in various areas of the rights of people on the move. Thanks to the trainings, the networks and cooperation between the participants were strengthened, experiences and good practices in the field of protection of the rights of people on the move were exchanged, both at national and international level. Below is the list of trainings organised within the FAIR PLUS project and their programmes:
- FAIR seminar for lawyers and attorny: Current Issues in Asylum and Aliens Law (online, 29. 9. 2020)
- Conference for Judges: Selected Issues of Asylum and Aliens Law from an International and National Perspective (online, 22. – 23. 3. 2021, in cooperation with Judicial Academy of the Czech Republic)
- Transnational seminar for judges from the Czech Republic and Ireland: Procedural guarantees for foreign nationals and applicants for international protection (online, 5. – 6. 10. 2021)
- Final Roundtable: The rights of migrants and refugees in the European Union (Brussels, 28. – 30. 4. 2022)
If you are interested in the training materials, please email the project coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Together with partner organisations we have developed a series of training materials and videos on the rights of people on the run. The materials include standards in international human rights law, case law from the European Court of Human Rights and the Court of Justice of the European Union, and much other useful information. A total of six training modules cover the following areas:
The educational materials are accompanied by informative videos and recordings of selected lectures: